Monday, September 27, 2010

Major Catch-up

Wow. I have sure neglected my journal writing duties. I have made a few posts on the other blog but I am sorry for not keeping up with this one. I have kept a long list of things that I wanted to write about so this entry is going to be VERY LONG and very random.

Let's start back where we ended last time. I bounced back from In-vetro pretty fast. Coming off all of those meds. made me a bit crazy. But, I was back to normal in just a few weeks. I am still a bit bitter that we spent $12,000 for nothing. Well, I guess it wasn't all for nothing because we still have 5 Embryos waiting for us at HRC to use in the next little while. We decided to wait until the girls were in school (which they now are and I have posted several things about that on our other blog) so I guess that in the next month or so we are going to see if we can get a baby using those. I will let you know how that goes. Doing a frozen cycle is going to be WAY BETTER than doing a fresh cycle because there are NO SHOTS!!!! They don't have to harvest any eggs. All they do is put me on lots of oral meds and then put a couple of eggs in me. The doctor wants to do three. I am not comfortable with three. We will decided later what to do. Can't think about it too much or it stresses me out.

Just a couple of days after our negative pregnancy test, I got a call from Melissa Raymond to tell me that Trishell's mom was killed in a car accident. I don't know if I was just extra emotional from the whole invetro experience and the meds or what but I could not stop crying. I cried for a few days over that. She was such a wonderful person and I am so thankful that I had a chance to know her. She was driving her grandkids to church and she ran a stop sign and was t-boned by a truck. Trishell has been AMAZING. I can't believe how well she has handled it. She is my hero. She can see the eternal perspective and they had a lot of really cool things happen because of the accident. One of the kids did an MRI and found a brain tumor-not related to the accident. They feel like the found it in time to have a great prognosis. The other miracle is that the 15 year old boy who has his learners permit was not driving. Trish said that whenever her mom is in town she ALWAYS lets him drive. Well, she didn't that day and it saved his life. Trish feels like her mom sacrificed her life to save two and maybe more of her grandkids. What inspiring people. So grateful to know them. I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but Melissa and Trishell are my guardian angels. We have a special bond after the way they took care of me when I was on bed rest with my twins. I can't ever think about it without crying. It is a very personal story that I don't talk about but I want to write it down so that my family knows how special these women are to me. I have never known more Christlike love-except from my own mother, of course.
They did so many things for me in the 3 years we were together in Pullman but one of the most spiritual experiences I have ever had was when I was about to be transported by ambulance from Pullman to Spokane. I had been lying in a bed for 4 days and was unable to move or even open my eyes because of the high dose of Magnesium that I was on. I remember that as they were getting everything ready to move me, Trishell (who worked as a labor and delivery nurse at the time) whispered in my ear and asked me if I wanted her and Melissa to give me a sponge bath. Now, I know what you are thinking, how on earth could this be a spiritual experience? It seems crazy to me even now. But, there was nothing embarrassing about it. They were so kind and gentle and I swear-angels were in that room. There is no doubt in my mind. I know of two that were there (Trish and Melissa) but I am sure there were more. I have never experienced anything like it before or since. It was the kindest act of Charity that I have ever received.

Well, one week to the day that Trishell's mom died I got a text from Brianne that her mom was now "home with her Savior". I am sure that these two women are great friends in Heaven now. They would get along SO well. Both suffered with breast cancer. Shelley suffered with cancer all over her body at different times over 15 years. It started when I was either a freshman or sophomore in high school. I remember standing in their kitchen and Brianne was begging her to go to the doctor for the lump in her breast. I remember it like it was yesterday. She handled her pain like no one I have ever seen before. She was always serving others, when it was she who needed serving. She was always there to uplift someone who was sad. She NEVER complained. She drove to Provo from Koosh hundreds, maybe thousands, of times to get chemo and radiation treatments over 15 years. I have never seen anyone endure something with so much grace and beauty. TRULY INSPIRING. How lucky I am to have known her and been loved by her. She took such good care of me and she always made me laugh. I loved playing games with her. I almost peed my pants more times than I can count. She had the most contagious laugh (just like my Saige). Different laughs but the same degree of contagiousness. I am so glad that she will no longer suffer and that she can walk cancer free in Heaven.

Well, after in-vetro and these two deaths I was feeling pretty down. Actually, the deaths made me put things into perspective pretty quick. I wasn't pregnant, but I still had my mom. What a blessing! I was so thankful but so sad for my friends. One day, I was out in my yard watering the grass. Brett came out and asked if I could come in and open the front door. I was so bugged! Thinking things like, "what is wrong with you? why can't you open it yourself". He could see the look on my face and said, "just go open the door, please"!
Well, I opened the door and there was Stef and Mia. What an AWESOME surprise. I was SO excited and surprised! I had no idea that they were coming for a cheer up visit. We swam and layed around in our jammies all day and played bubble bobble on the wii. We rock at it by the way. Not only did we pass bubble bobble, we also passed super bubble bobble (all in one night)! Stef, if you are reading this, you will never know what that meant to me. You are the best.

In July we were able to go to Hawaii. Everyone from my family was there except Chance. We sure missed him but we had a lot of fun. It was so much fun to take our girls. They made everything so fun. Even on the airplane ride there everything was so exciting to them. I wrote about it on my other blog but here are a few things I left out:

*I will never forget that Mia spent most of the time in the fridge. She would pull everything off of the bottom shelf and try to sit on it. Then, she would bring us things from the fridge and yell, "more"? We would all say, "NO". She would say, "OK" and then start bringing us more stuff. It was so dang funny.
*Mom and the girls sang, "Oh, we're going, to the Hukilau" the entire trip. It was so much fun. I got a really funny video of them singing it while trying to do a hula dance. I will treasure it forever.
*There's a funny story about Jade buying some very expensive Melona bars but I will have to ask Stef and for the details because I wasn't there. I just wanted to write this much down so that when I make my parents Christmas present I don't forget about it.
*We went to California Pizza Kitchen in Kailua one day and my mom kept calling it California Pizza Chicken. It was pretty funny.
*And one more really cool thing: The Black Pearl (from the Pirates of the Caribbean) was docked out in the harbor right by our hotel. They are filming the next movie on Oahu and Kauai. It was such a cool thing to see. My dad had the girls convinced that there were real pirates on that ship and that they were going to come and get us. He LOVES to tease.

There are a few funny things I want to remember about the girls:

When we first started swimming in our pool the girls started calling the pool vacuum Marilyn. I don't know how they came up with this-they don't know ANYONE with that name. Well, it stuck. Now, we all refer to it as Marilyn-even when they are not around. For example, if it were not working properly I would say, "Brett, there is something wrong with Marilyn-can you try to fix her?" She is a part of our family now.

One of my favorite things that the girls did in the pool this year was that they would go under the water and give each other high fives and then pull funny faces at each other. They both open their eyes under the water. They would both come up laughing and taking in water! It was so cute to watch. So glad they have each other.

In June I was trying to fix something in the back yard and asked Madi to bring me a Phillips screwdriver. She brought both a flat head and a Phillips and asked, "If this one is a Phillips, is this one a Remund?"
Our best friends here are the Phillips family. We hang out with them all of the time. I think that it should be called a Remund screwdriver because the Remunds and the Phillips work really well together!

We grew corn this year in our garden (from some seed that Grandpa Dalton gave me). For future reference, the seeds were called serendipity and ambrosia. One night we were eating this delicious corn on the cob and Madi said, "Mom, I love this corn so much-even as much as I love you"!

I may have written about this before but when my dad came to the hospital to see the girls the first thing he said is, "Gosh Nat, we grow potatoes bigger than that!"
After we found out that we were having girls, Brett called his dad and said, "Well, we are having us a couple of ball players"
Roy responded, "Girls, huh?"!

I was driving the other day and noticed in the road a smashed packet of cigarettes. It reminded me of working at Stan's. I bet I had 10 people tell me this story at different times. My Great-grandpa Dalton used to have a store in Circleville on Main Street called Kenz. When someone would come in to buy cigarettes, they would say, "give me a soft pack of marbaros (sp?) please."
He would throw it on the ground, stomp on it, and say, "Is that soft enough for you?"
LOVE IT!


No comments: