More about that later.
I have really decided that I am going to get rid of things I don't use. All this clutter really does make me unhappy. My friend Joy-the organizing queen-put this on her blog and it has really motivated me to downsize and simplify my life (if only I could get the rest of my family on board!):
Clutter becomes that unwanted house guest that you can't get rid of.
- Clutter in your home does not allow your mind and body to rest. It robs you of your health and drains your energy. Not only does it rob us of peace while we’re home, it also steals any bit of joy when we leave home because we dread returning to that mess. Our homes should be a haven not a refuse for garbage.
- Clutter needs cleaning. The guilt of all the clutter keeps you working non-stop. It’s like a spoiled child, requiring all your attention. On a beautiful spring day, clutter-lovers are stuck inside the house dusting, wiping and scrubbing their clutter, when they could be outside enjoying the sunshine!
- Clutter-filled homes are not welcoming to friends or family. We do not invite guests over often. When we do, we almost kill ourselves trying to crisis clean. Clutter is a very selfish house mate and wants you all to himself.
- Clutter never wants you to leave home. It throws every obstacle in your path; laundry needs doing, bills need paying and animals need to be fed.
- Clutter's main sustenance is chaos. So when you are running around your home searching for a document or the car keys that you just put down, or the important school paper that little Johnny needs signed, clutter is celebrating with a feast of chaos from the even bigger mess you made during the search.
- Clutter provides you with an excuse about not doing other things that matter to you. How many goals do you have for your life that you are NOT accomplishing as a result of having clutter in your life
So, while I was going through the 400 hundred cookbooks I have today I decided that I was going to get rid of the ones I never use no matter who gave them to me for our wedding, etc.!
I found this note in one from my Aunt Sharron who taught me piano for years. Instead of keeping the book because of the note I decided to give the book to Goodwill and type the note here:
"My dear little Natalie. What a big step you are taking. You have so many wonderful days ahead of you. Marriage and children will make you realize how much more you need your Heavenly Father and your mother and a cookbook. This is one of my favorites. I hope you enjoy it too. You will always hold a special spot in my heart.
My love, Aunt Sharron"
She is so right about needing your Heavenly Father and your mother. Her mother (my Grandpa Gary Dalton's mom as well) died very young and I bet she missed her so much. I still rely on my mom so much-especially since having kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment