Sunday, August 30, 2009

Typewriter

This is a funny thing to write about since NO ONE uses typewriters anymore. Who knew the computer thing would catch on?! For all of you who don't even know what they were, I will explain.
It was like a keyboard but attached to it were about 50 long handled keys. When you pushed a letter (and you had to push hard) one key would go flying up, hit a line of black ink tape (which was impossible to get off of you if you accidentally touched it), and then mark that letter on the page.
It sounds very archaic, and it was. However, all I wanted one year for Christmas was a typewriter. We used to get the JC Penney Christmas Catalog in the mail-we would skim it for weeks and dog ear the pages of the things that we wanted. One year (not even in the toy section) the thing that caught my eye was a typewriter. I can't remember how old I was but I know it was before I was 8 because we were still living in the old house on main street. I have no idea what my plans were for this but I find it very ironic that I ended getting my Bachelor's Degree in Office Administration.
Santa came and brought the typewriter. I used it for a while until my dad and Lon basically stole it for their new business-Dalton Brother's Trucking.

No comments: