Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Abinadi and the Primary Program

Last Sunday was the Primary Program in church and it was so fun to watch. Madi and Saige had to give a scripture and talk so they sat on the front row so we got to watch them the whole time. It was so funny. They sang louder than any other kid and they knew most of the words. A couple of times Saige was screaming the songs. Everyone was getting a kick out of them. Their talk was "Doctrine and Covenants, Section 59, Verse 7. Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things." Then Saige said,"I'm thankful for Jesus. Name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
Madi said, "I'm thankful for Jesus and Heavenly Father (a couple of times), my mom and dad, grandma, grandpa, Chance, Jade, Nephi, Joseph, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
Before they got up to do their part I couldn't believe how nervous I was for them. My heart was pounding and I was sweating. It just got me thinking that as a parent you just want them to succeed in everything they do-even more so then you ever cared about your own success.
After the program they watched a movie about Abinadi in Primary. On the way home from church they were telling me about it. They remembered almost everything. That night at dinner I was having them tell Brett about it. We were asking them questions to prompt them like, "was King Noah mean or nice? did he listen to Abinadi? etc. Then we asked what happened to Abinadi. Saige said, "they tied him up". Then Madi said, "who fired him?" Even though it is not funny at all that Abinadi was burned the way she said it made us all laugh out loud. Being fired means a different thing in todays world. Explaining gospel stories to children is to hard. It is hard to explain that Nephi was a great prophet and a really good guy and then tell the story about him cutting Laban's head off. Or Ammon cutting the arms off of the men trying to steal the King's sheep.
One other funny thing from Sunday-Madi asked,"Why did everyone give us high fives at church on Sunday?" They really were so fun to watch in the program. I didn't know if I should laugh at how cute and funny they were or cry because I was so proud of them.

No comments: